What is the Space-Tech Innovation Challenge 2020?
The Space-Tech Innovation Challenge 2020 will identify and develop the most promising new innovators, entrepreneurs and early-stage businesses across Africa. The challenge is targeting downstream space-tech applications across agriculture, insurance, retail, sustainability and conservation. Do you have what it takes to empower Africa through space-tech innovation?
What is Space-Tech?
- The set of applications which use earth observation, the gathering of information about the physical, chemical and biological systems of the planet via remote-sensing technologies
- There has been a surge in demand for these applications across a wide range of industries where they are driving cost reductions and sustainability. Space-tech has reached a point where almost every business can or does use it – often without even knowing
- The African space-tech sector is one of the fastest growing markets in the world, but it is still significantly underexploited. This represents a massive investment opportunity
- The African Union has identified earth observation as a key resource which must be leveraged in achieving Africa’s development goals
- One of the best ways to grow this sector is through an open innovation challenge
- To identify the most promising innovators, entrepreneurs and early-stage businesses across Africa and develop them into sustainable companies
- To develop Africa’s geospatial readiness so that African businesses can service African demand for geospatial intelligence